Friday, November 14, 2008

wii fit challenge: week 1

In case you haven't noticed, I'm into crafting. That's what this blog is supposed to be about right? Well, it's 1/4 crafting and 3/4 kids and family. So in keeping with the spirit of crafting, I have decided embark on the most important craft of my life...me. Or should I say mii?

I have either been pregnant or breastfeeding since 2004. Needless to say three pregnancies and almost 3 years of breastfeeding (still breastfeeding the little one) takes a toll on one's body. I'm rather soft in places that used to be firm. I am in no way vain, nor do I care what others think about my body, except my husband. We have 3 kids so you all obviously know what he thinks about it. But after reading You: the Owner's Manual, I realized that there are areas of my life which can be improved. Until I read this book, I had no idea what HDL cholesterol is or what causes a heart attack. One major thing I learned from the book is that I should get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. It is the one thing I should be selfish about. I don't care I have to put off mopping the floor or cleaning the windows, I need to make time to exercise!

Here's where the wii fit comes in. I don't have time to go to the gym. I just don't. Nor can I afford one with a play center for the kids. I also don't want to have to drive all the way to the gym. (Trying to leave a small carbon footprint!) So I did the calculations. A Wii and Wii fit together cost a fraction of the price of a gym membership. It also weighs you and gives you your BMI. Along with that you get a handy graph of how you're improving and you can easily set goals for yourself. And it really does work you out. Just ask my thigh muscles.

I've decided as extra motivation, I will post, hopefully once a week, my wii fit progress. I try to do it everyday, but I know I need to be realistic. I will probably get to it 4 times a week. It's a start right. I may even post a picture of myself once a week just for the record. I hope I have everyone's support in this and more than that, join my challenge yourself! You don't have to have a wii fit. Just get outside and walk or run for half an hour. Do some yoga. Dance around the living room.

So here are my results for week 1 of the wii fit challenge:
weight: 155 (goal 135)
BMI: 27 (it's 27.something, but I can't remember at the moment) (goal 20)
Wii fit age: 29 (-1 of my real age!)

No comments: