Sunday, June 15, 2008

pattern review: prairie girl

I just completed the cute Prairie Girl pattern from Favorite Things. I used Alexander Henry's Aviary print in green. I originally wanted to use the pink and white fabric, but I already told my sob story.

So about the pattern...I bought this originally because I love the look of the shirt. There are also so many different options included in the pattern, that you can use it a few times without making the same thing over and over. You can make a shirt, or dress or have ruffled sleeves, plain sleeves, or none at all.

I made the shirt with plain sleeves. It was a fairly easy pattern to follow. It's definitely for intermediate sewers. I only say that because it assumes the sewer knows things like understitching. If you are a beginner sewer, you probably could still tackle this one with the help of the internet to define a few things for you.

The only bad thing I could find about the pattern is that it's kind of hard to sew the dickie on. The pattern gives the option of sewing snaps to snap the dickie, sewing the dickie directly to the shirt, or buying a cami to go underneath. I don't think the cami underneath would have worked for me b/c the shirt would have opened up too much at the top, but I think that just because I'm a bit large in the bust area. I did manage to sew the dickie on in such a way that it doesn't look bad.

In all, I really liked the pattern and the way the shirt came out. I think next summer, or maybe later this one, I'll tackle making the dress.

I'll try to remember to post a picture of the finished product later, but it's currently being washed since it was lovingly worn for the first time today.

No comments: